03 July 2010

Xcaret (Pronounced: ees-cah-RHET)

    For reals, everyone need to go to Cancun just for this. Xcaret is described as and "ecological theme park." But instead of roller coasters, the "park" is filled with all things wildlife and natural. For example; an underground river that winds around the whole park that you can snorkel in, a butterfly pavilion, a mayan village, lagoons that open to the beach for snorkeling, aquariums, tanks to swim with sharks, dolphins and turtles, SeaTreks (scuba tours), river tours, jaguar exhibits, gardens....I could go on and on. On top of all that there are 8 different (very, very nice) restaurants scattered throughout the park; we had a crazy good buffet lunch @ one of them. Although we didn't get to do everything, we DID snorkel in the underground river--my favorite! (And Ricky's first time snorkeling!), I felt like we did A LOT. It would easily take 2-3 days to see/do it all. Argueably the best part of the day was the "Xcaret Mexico Espectacular!" The show (held in a very life-like replica) of a Mayan ball court; basically a gigantic stone theater was divided into 2 parts. The first portion of the show was the history of the Mayan people, from their creation through the Spanish Invasion (I booed at that part) solely through song and dance. (I tried to explain to Ricky that thats what a musical is--but he wasn't buying it. I guess since it was in Spanish--it didn't apply.) The second portion of the show was traditional songs and dances from all the states of Mexico.  All in all, Xcaret was espectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment