(Disclaimer: I do realize the "insensitivity" issues people have. I wholeheartedly acknowledge and empathize with those (including myself) who were so deeply affected by that day. It is a day I never will, or want to, forget. It shaped our history and our people into what they are today; and I would never demean anyone's feelings on something so tragic. Upon reflection; it is still a day, a time, and an event that still affects me profoundly.)
After an endless barrage of articles, opinions and interviews on an Islamic cultural center being built near Ground Zero...I'm pretty darn sick of it all. And after listening to all the articles, opinions and interviews, I'm getting a little exasperated. There have been a lot of comments calling all this "un-American" and "insensitive." It is awfully unfair to judge the whole based on the radical actions of a few. To include all Muslims in Al-Qaida seems pretty "insensitive" to me. To tell someone where they can and cannot worship is one the of most "un-American" things I can think of. Without this freedom; almost all of us, certainly myself, would not be able to worship and embrace the religions we do today.
Our founding fathers came for the explicit purpose of freedom of worship. They ran from a place where their own people and government wouldn't accept them and established this country. Unless you are the member of the Church of England, whatever religion you chose to accept is a byproduct of the Religious Reformation that brought thousands here to establish our country. (Additionally: its not being built on Ground Zero--its several blocks away on a commercial lot of an old Burlington Coat Factory. The choices that are made are not vindictive or "insensitive.") Just because a few radical actions of few priests, we aren't going to stop building churches near playgrounds. As President Obama said, "Al-Quida’s cause is not Islam — it is a gross distortion of Islam,” the president said, adding, “In fact, Al Qaeda has killed more Muslims than people of any other religion, and that list includes innocent Muslims who were killed on 9/11.” And so to tell those whose choices make you sensitive, is very "un-American."
Perhaps the MOST annoying thing of all is everyone's "all-of-a-sudden" interest. The plans were proposed for this mosque at that location last year, and nobody seemed to have an opinion then. Why now does everyone care so much? (I realize that simply by blogging this I'm throwing myself into the hypocritical category.) BUT my point is this--if you have an opinion (which is great!)--have an original one. Not one because your mother, brother, sister, favorite politician (cough, cough) has one.
| The Daily Show With Jon Stewart | Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c |
| Municipal Land-Use Hearing Update | |
No comments:
Post a Comment